Sunday 4 May 2014

Travel to Australia

The Aussie Outback, Broom, Image
For a long time Australia has been perceived as nothing but outback and bushland. The movie Crocodile Dundee put Australia on the map but only showed it in a certain light, there is so much more to Australia then kangaroo-shooting and killing snakes with our bare hands.

Australia is a diverse continent filled with so much variety in scenery, culture and cuisine. From white sandy beaches with crystal clear waters, to red dirt desert plains, there's a true magnificence to this 'sunburnt country' and being stereotyped as 'Outback Jacks' is something that is now fading into history.

I have lived in Australia my whole life and I think I will have been lucky enough to see about 5% of it. I live in a rural-suburban township about one and a half hours south of Sydney, NSW. Being in this locale means it's not hard for me to go visit NSW's capital and Australia's largest city.

Sydney Opera House & Harbour Bridge
Sydney is a special place, a bustling metropolis and mecca for people from all over the world. You won't be surprised to experience a rich Asian culture that has spread roots throughout Sydney CBD, and you don't have to venture far to experience hundreds of other cultures. Just like any other big city in the world, Sydney has been divided up into Chinatown, Little Italy, Little Greece... The list goes on.

Immigrants aren't the only people that define Australia though, we have a wonderful Indigenous culture that is one of the oldest surviving cultures in the world- dating back some 60,000 years, and along with it we have a rich history of how this ancient culture have lived and how they are continuously evolving their traditions and customs.

Having travelled abroad, although I don't pretend to be all-knowing, I have to admit the produce in Australia and the food scene is one of the best I have experienced. It's no secret that one of our most prime exports is beef, and lets be honest, if you've eaten Aussie Angus Beef there's no going back... Maybe I'm just biased but you should try it for yourself.
Yarra Valley Victoria
Having said all that, there really is no denying that Australia is a beautiful country. I made a promise to myself years ago that I wouldn't travel abroad for 'beach holidays' there's absolutely no point, and in all honesty I'm likely to be disappointed because I know that living in Australia I'm spoilt rotten for stunning beaches.

We have some of the most gorgeous scenery in the world.. I'm not going to describe it because a picture paints a thousand words- so here's 7 thousand words.

Whitehaven Beach, Whitsundays. A group of islands around the North-East Coast of Australia.. Just breathtaking
Melbourne, I already mentioned Sydney, but this place is the epicentre for food, shopping and culture in Australia. If it wasn't for Victoria's extreme weather I would already live there.
We may not have the best powder in the world, but we have a continent that's mostly desert and then some beautiful snow fields... That's a bit special in my opinion. 
Gorgeous landscapes. Uluru is an iconic Aussie site, and has a special place in Aboriginal culture. Look at that gorgeous red rock.
Beautiful Architecture. This is Sydney's QVB. Full of cafes and designer stores.
Kakadu National Park. On my bucket list...
The Great Barrier Reef National Marine Park. Better see this before it's gone, it's now an endangered world heritage site.



Moral to the story is that I love my homeland, I know I'm biased but I think it's the most beautiful country and I recommend everyone take a trip and come visit if you're able. You won't regret it :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment