Wednesday 6 May 2015

Keep it weird, Austin!



Austin would have to be one of my favourite cities in the U.S...

We spent 5 days there and I honestly wish we had been there longer. We stayed in a little apartment we rented through airbnb and had a car to get around, and if I had my time over I wouldn't do anything differently (aside from probably never leaving).

One of the main reasons we headed to Austin was to go to Franklin Barbecue. Incase you didn't already know, I pretty much plan all of my travel around where I can eat so this was an absolute no-brainer. The best barbecue in the world isn't something I would EVER think twice about.

Don't even ask me where I first heard of Franklin because I can't remember, it may have been a message from God because I honestly feel like I was sent on an almost holy pilgrimage to eat.

So we went there, and it was good.



So yeah, that happened, and I'm pretty much ruined for life now because I will never be able to replicate it- even if I buy Aaron Franklin's cookbook and try my hardest, it ain't gunna be the same. So I'll just have to return in the future.

It's not all about the BBQ though, we ate a fantastic meal at Qui which was not only a last minute booking at a restaurant around the corner from us, but it was pretty close to one of the best meals we ate in the U.S. Paul Qui is doing some pretty special stuff and I won't be surprised if we see his name popping up all over the place in the not too distant future- even bigger then being on Top Chef!

Austin is renown for its food trucks and my only disappointment was we didn't get to try the Monte Cristo at the 'Hey you gunna eat or what?!' food truck. We did get to eat at Gourdough's Doughnut Truck.. My heightened cholesterol can probably be attributed to the 'Fat Elvis' and 'Mother Clucker' but I won't miscount the 'Flying Pig' or 'PB&J' either (yeah, 4 doughnuts is waaaay too many for 2 people).. Also, they're not really doughnuts if you need to eat them with a knife and fork (and a drop sheet).

Ok, so food aside, we also enjoyed the Baylor Street Graffiti Park..

I have an affinity for animals, namely slow, furry animals- so I had to go check out the resident sloth at the local exotic pet store (Sophia is a sweetheart and she shares he enclosure with an iguana so thats pretty cool).


And of course we strolled down South Congress to check out the fun thrift stores that are more like museums then stores, like Uncommon Objects, and I may have spent a small fortune at the local boutique clothing stores buying up the stunning clothes made by local designers.


As we went in winter, the surprisingly cold nights weren't too inviting for going out and watching live bands or going out at all for that matter. I've left the music scene until my next visit because hey, you can never see everything you want to see in one go!

So, yes, I loved Austin, I intend to return and when I do I hope nothing has changed and it's still as weird and wonderful as ever.

External links;

Baylor Street Graffiti Park

www.uncommonobjects.com

Zookeeper Exotic Pet store

www.airbnb.com

South Congress

Creatures Boutique

No comments:

Post a Comment